In feng shui, dining rooms are given a very high degree of importance and that’s because it’s “The Room” where a family is “supposed to” dine and spend a real quality time together.
I said “supposed to” because in most houses dining rooms are seldom used (for dining) and they – tend to – become “dumping rooms” for all sorts of things that can’t find a place elsewhere in the home; here’s a list of few – really few – items that are usually dumped in dining rooms:
- kid’s toys
- old cabinets
- seldom used travel bags
- laundry clothes
and the list goes on and on.
However, you must understand that piling all these items – that don’t actually belong – to the dining room has a very – and very I mean – negative effect on feng shui of dining room.
In fact, I can go ahead and boldly state that piling clutter in any area of a home or office is bound to deteriorate feng shui for that area because they restrict the free flow of Qi energy in the house.
Note: Here, I assume that you’re aware of feng shui and Qi energy concepts; if you aren’t then please read the article @ Feng Shui & Qi Energy.
Having said that, I nowhere mean that you can’t have kid’s toys or laundry clothes in the house, what I am trying to say is that just keep them at appropriate places and don’t let them clutter your house.
Now, I know that you want to learn – and really understand – feng shui dining room tips, so, without any delay let’s jump right away to those.
Feng Shui Dining Room – Here’s What You Need To Do
Feng Shui dining room is aimed at making the dining room in your home a feng shui compliant one. A feng shui dining room is the one that arouses hunger, brings harmony, strengthens the bond amongst family members, attracts prosperity, enhances wealth and a whole lot more.
Below are feng shui dining room tips (in do’s and don’ts format).
Feng Shui Dining Room – What to Follow
- Make sure that the dining room is inviting, comfortable, hunger arousing and calm.
- Maintain balance of colors in dining room; don’t make it too bright or overly dull.
- Dining room must be well ventilated and it should receive plenty of sunlight.
- Hang a mirror in dining area such that it reflects the dining table; this’ll bring in more prosperity. Follow feng shui mirror guidelines mentioned @ Feng Shui Mirror Placement while placing mirrors anywhere in your home.
- You can provide a wash basin in North or East of dining area.
- Keep the dining room as near as possible to kitchen.
- Have kitchen and dining on the same floor.
- If your kitchen is really huge then utilize an area of the kitchen as dining area.
- If the dining room in your home is a part of living room (a common case nowadays) then put curtains or potted plants as a line of demarcation.
- Go for a square/rectangular or oval/circular dining table.
- Make sure that the dining table is of high quality wood.
- The dining table must be big enough to provide space for everyone.
- Keep the number of chairs even.
- Keep sitting arrangement such that no one’s back is towards a door or window as it causes a sense of insecurity.
- East facing is good for head of the family; other members can face North, East or West while dining.
- Be polite and gentle to family member while dining (this, in no way, means that you can yell at them elsewhere); be gentle and polite always.
- Be relaxed, calm, happy and stress-free while dining; in fact be this way always.
- Always keep something on the dining table; you can keep fruits on it; apples help develop friendship, pears are good to attract positive energy, peaches aid in good health and oranges symbolize richness and prosperity.
- If fruits aren’t your choice then you can keep flowers on dining table. Just make sure not to use dried flowers, they imply deterioration.
- Make sure to have meals with your family daily; however, if that’s not possible then at least have a meal together once a week.
- Images of mouthwatering and lip smacking dishes in dining room arouses hunger.
- Always thank God before you start eating.
Feng Shui Dining Room – Here’s What to Avoid
- No toilet doors in front of dining table or dining room.
- Make sure that dining room door and house entrance doesn’t face each other.
- Make sure that the dining room doesn’t become a room of dining etiquette for anyone; else they’ll lose interest in eating.
- Never sit under a beam while eating.
- Please avoid TV and other electrical instruments in the dining room; this’ll make the family to spend some quality time together.
- Avoid low ceiling in dining room.
- Avoid negative paintings such as weeping girl, war, crime etc. in dining room; in fact avoid them everywhere.
- Avoid hanging clocks in dining room; they tend to create haste while eating.
- Never eat in dark.
- Avoid eating alone; that increases loneliness. Put on some soothing music if you’re alone.
- Avoid irregular shaped dining tables such as, diamond or hexagonal shaped ones.
- Avoid glass top dining tables as they’ll bring in nervous energy.
- Avoid dining tables that have cushions on top; go for hard top dining tables as they represent solid foundation.
- Never place the dining table touching a wall; it must be away from any wall so that everyone can sit comfortably.
- Avoid rocking chairs in dining room.
- Avoid facing south while eating.
- Don’t allow kids to sit in the South-West corner of dining table.
- Never use or even keep broken or chipped utensils or glass wares.
Alright, so with this we come to the end of the article about feng shui dining rooms; but just before you leave this article, here are the links of some really interesting and related feng shui topics that you MUST READ:
Related & MUST READ articles:
Your reading this far, makes me – really believe – that you’ve liked the information above; do share it with your friends and family!!!